Burano is an island in the Northern Venetian Lagoon, just 40 minutes away from Venice by boat. It is an old fishing village, and the fishing traditions of Burano date back to Roman time. The island is famous for the art of lace making and its bright multicolored houses. Burano was founded by the Romans who fled the city of Altino during the Barbarian invasions, and named it after one of the gates of the former city.
The first houses of Burano were build on palafittes, with walls made of woven canes and afterwards plastered with mud. Although the island was settled in the 6th century, it’s importance rose only in the 16th century, when women on the island began making lace with needles. When Leonardo da Vinci visited in 1481, he visited the small town of Lefkara and purchased a cloth for the main altar of the Duomo di Milano.